Tuesday, March 18, 2014

My Plastic Surgery Story [Part 2]

Hey guys! This is the second part of my plastic surgery story. Read the first part here

So where did I leave off? Oh, did I go through with the surgery? 

No. I had just graduated high school and I was a couple weeks out from starting college and I didn't want to miss time from the surgery so I put it on the back burner.

Time went on and I still struggled with my chest. I gained and lost some weight through the years and so did my chest but they were still large for my frame. 

The summer of 2009, I lost my job and went through a depression and was incredibly stressed out. Juan and I had just moved into a new apartment. With the job loss I figured I'd make that time worthwhile and workout and try to eat healthy. My idea of healthy back then was WAY different than what I think now. Working out and eating better I thought I'd lose some weight and instead I was gaining. In a matter of a couple of months I gained about 15-20 pounds which made me even more depressed. I went to see a doctor for this issue and was diagnosed with hypothyroid. My doctor put me on meds to get my thyroid under control but I was still having trouble getting the weight off. 

This was summer 2009 on my 22nd birthday.

With the weight gain, I felt uncomfortable and not very confident in myself. In all honesty, I even shut down job interviews because I felt horrible about myself and I didn't want anyone seeing me that way. I couldn't fit in any of my clothes and my large(r) chest just put me in a deeper depression. I was determined to get this fixed as soon as I found a job with health insurance. 


These are probably the last photos I have of a full body shot before my surgery. I was not very photogenic during that time. It is taking me a lot of courage to post these photos but I want to give you an idea of what I looked like just a few years ago.

When I turned 22, I knew I had to get it done. I gained weight because my thyroid was out of whack. I was working out trying to lose but to no avail. I remember crying some nights because I was so uncomfortable in my own body but I was doing all that I could. I was eating right, I was working out, but I was so depressed. I talked to my family and to Juan and they were so supportive of my decision. I couldn't wait any longer. I knew it was going to be the best decision for me.

I made an appointment and consultation with the same doctor in April 2010 and he answered all my questions regarding the surgery. His explanation with everything was so thorough and great and I felt entirely comfortable with him. We scheduled my surgery for June 2, 2010. He took photos and submitted them to my insurance company. The next few months I had researched (FYI, don't google any surgeries. It'll scare you.) I had also saved every penny I could to help pay for my deductible which was over $2800. I was ready. I knew that this decision was going to change me. 

Stay tuned for the last part next week to read about my experience! 

Thanks for reading! 

No comments:

Post a Comment